January 22, 2009

Confessions of a Shopaholic



I have to say, this book reminded me a little of myself. Now I'm not in debt by any means because of my shopping, but I can be a little obsessed with buy clothes like Rebecca is in the book. Rebecca Bloomwood can't seem to stop buy clothes, shoes, moisturizers...you name it, she wants it. She's getting hounded by the bank and credit card companies. Phone call after phone call from companies wanting her to pay off her credit card and her overdraft from the bank. Again, I've never had to deal with this myself, but I can imagine how easy it is to get there. I have a little bit more self control.




The ironic thing about Rebecca is that she works for a magazine that gives advice on money. How to spend it, what to spend it on, when people should invest, and so on. People call her a financial expert. Little do they know, she has her own big problems with money. She comes up with stories on how to avoid paying back money to the bank...her dog has died, she broke her leg, her aunt just died and left her some money, but the money isn't in yet. She tries looking for a second job, and puts on her resume that she speaks finnish. Well come to find out, there's a bank looking for someone who speaks finnish to join their company. The owner starts talking to her and Rebecca has no idea what to do, so she just runs. She also tries making frames for a company that sends them to you to be made, you send them back, and get a paycheck a couple weeks later. Only, she's really bad at making the frames...and I mean really bad.
If you enjoy clothes, shopping, or just a good laugh, you'll love this book. There's a bit of romance at the end for those of you that need a little love. I look forward to trying Sophie Kinsella's other books such as: Remember Me, Shopaholic and Baby, The Undomestic Goddess, Shopaholic and Sister, Can You Keep a Secret?, Shopaholic Ties the Knot, and Shopaholic Takes Manhatten.

I leave you with the preview of Confessions of a Shopaholic which comes out February 13th. I'm defintely going to go see it.



No comments:

Post a Comment