January 24, 2009

Someone Like You...

Well I went book shopping with Nicole one day, specifically going to get Marley and Me and Confessions of a Shopaholic, and we stumbled upon Sarah Dessen. I had never heard of her and neither had Nicole. There were about 6 books to choose from. I like trying new books and authors so I grabbed this one, just to see what it would be about. And first of all I should have looked at the back a little bit closer. She's a very popular author, but for young adults. And I guess I'm sort of a young adult, but then again I'm not. But then again, Twilight was written for Young Adults, and I absolutely love those. Anyway, it's a good book, a very easy read. I guess I have mixed feelings. I guess just because I just got finished reading Marley and Confessions, this one felt dumbed down to me. It's about Halley (like the comet) and her best friend Scarlett and their junior year of high school. Halley gets a call whie she's away at summer camp, that the guy, Michael, Scarlett saw all summer has just died in a motercycle crash. Then Scarlett finds out she's pregnant with Michael's child. It's about the meanness of high school girls, which still makes my skin boil. What they say about Scarlett when they find out she's pregnant. Meanwhile, Halley starts dating Michael's best friend Macon. He's quite a bit different than she is. He's a rebel, misses class, drinks, smokes pot, everything Halley doesn't do. He pressures her into sex, which she goes back and forth on, since she knows what the consequence could be...i.e. Scarlett + Michael = pregnant. All in all, it's a decent book. I mean it only took me like 3 days to read...so if you're looking for something quick, this is the book for you.

1 comment:

  1. I'm very disappointed. I was hoping this would be a great new author with lots of good books to read!!

    ReplyDelete