January 19, 2009

Marley and Me




Now seriously, how can you say No to that face. I just finished Marley and Me. What a great book. Mike and I had seen the movie few weeks ago before I ever read the book. I recommend both the book and the movie. But be prepared, because you will cry. There is no doubt about it. I had no idea what was going to happen. In the movie, all you see is funny scenes, so you think it's going to be all happy throughout the whole movie. Boy was I wrong...I cried for the last 30 minutes of the movie. And I even knew what was coming when I read the book, and I still cried! John Grogan does an amazing job of describing Marley and the things he does and gets into. Marley is an interesting dog. He is terrified of thunderstorms and has to be given tranquilizers before a storm hits or else he goes crazy. It's even worse when a storm hits without John and Jenny knowing while they're at work and come home to find the dry wall, yes the dry wall in the garage torn away from Marley chewing and scratching during the storm. Marley gets expelled from obedience training...how many dogs can claim that? Even through all the destruction, he is still Man's Best Friend.
I am quite the dog lover myself. My family has always had dogs growing up. George and Snowdrop were my pals growing up. George was put to sleep when I was in 5th grade and Snowdrop when I was in 7th. Then there was Muppet and Moose. Moose died in 2006 from seizures, and Muppet was just recently put to sleep. Now my parents have Mako and Mallie. And I've got Starr. I just love the way dogs are excited to see you. Now matter how many times you walk through that door. I love the way they play when they are puppies...even if there are 3 pairs of shoes chewed up, or bite marks on the dining table and chairs. (Not pointing any fingers Starr...) The uncoditional love they give you is worth it.
Like I said before I highly recommend reading the book, and watching the movie. There are some good laughs. I think my favorite line in the book is when the family moves to Pennsylvania and one of the sons is disappointed and crying because, "there's supposed to be pencils in Pennsylvania." There are even pictures of Marley and his family in the book.
For more information you can visit John Grogan's website. There you can read about his children's books he's written, read his blog, and even look at pictures of the real Marly. Or if you have any funny pet stories, you can post them there too. I'm leaving you with the movie trailer from Marley and Me. Get ready for some good laughs and shedding tears.


No comments:

Post a Comment